How to use the depositor
Diego's presentation on using the Depositor
Many thanks to Diego who authored this PDF document and shared it. Download: Media:Depositor.pdf.
Enable the Depositor
- Modify main.cfg (in the GSDLHOME/etc directory): change
depositor disabled to depositor enabled
- You might need to set permissions for the GSDLHOME/tmp and GSDLHOME/collect or GSDLHOME/collect/your_accessable_collection directory.
- You need to be in the all-collections-editor user group to access the Depositor (or colbuilder for Greenstone version 2.80 and earlier)
- Depositor only works with the Web server, not the local server
Use the Depositor
- Go to the Greenstone's home page and click the "The Depositor" button.
- Sign in to the page
- Select a collection from the collection list
- Fill in the metadata fields
Note: Depositor use the Dublin Core metadata set by default. So if the target collection doesn't use DC, it is possible that the new added document(s) will not show up when previewing the collection. For example, when the classifiers are built with other metadata sets.
- Click the "Select File" button
- Select the file you want to deposit, then click the "Confirmation" button
Note: if you want to upload more than one file at a time, zip them first. Don't forget to include ZipPlug in your collection's config.cfg.
- Click the "Deposit Item" button and wait for the process being finished.
Note: You will see "Collection built successfully" message or error messages if something goes wrong.
- Try the newly built collection
Configure the Depositor
Modify depositor.dm (more to come)
- (2.81) To make the depositor deposit the item in the collection but not import/build it, edit macros/depositor.dm and change
Configure the Metadata Fields
By default, the Depositor uses three fields (Title, Creator and Description) from the Dublin Core metadata set, but you can easily customize this in the GLI Format panel (from Greenstone version 2.81)
- Launch GLI, open the collection you want to customize with. Go to the Format Panel, click the "Depositor Metadata" section in the left section, a list of available metadata fields will appear in the right section.
- Select fields that you want to be used in the Depositor. A drop-down list will appear right after the selected element, which is used to specify the text input type for that element in the web page: "text" will display a single line text input whereas "textarea" will display a multi-line input area. Hover the mouse over an element will display a tool-tip describing that element.
- It is recommended to select metadata fields that have been used to build classifiers, so that the newly added items can show up when previewing the collection.
- Please note that at least one metadata element must be selected. If there is only one element left selected in the list, de-select the element will fail and pop up a warning message.